This is part 3 of a series on sustaining the Christian distictiveness of Christian organisations.
Abiding in Christ is both a personal and corporate (or community) discipline. Individuals who are spiritually flourishing create a rich community life and a vibrant community life encourages, inspires and equips individuals in their own walk with Christ. It is therefore important to strengthen some corporate community disciplines to help us abide in Christ. There is no set list of what these will be or a sense of prescription for the Spirit will ‘blow where He wills’ but I believe that we will see some significant changes in three areas:
- Becoming as famous for prayer as we are for action.
An increased emphasis on prayer and intercession
- Prayer is the place of intimacy with God and intimacy is our highest calling
- Prayer is our most powerful development intervention
- Prayer is the heart of our Christian distinctive
- Increased emphasis on discipleship, as we become a more missional community.
We will create an environment where deepening discipleship is the cultural norm. This will mean
- Character becoming the most vital element in recruitment
- Becoming more spiritually vibrant.
This involves setting priorities and finding practical ways to allow us to deepen our spiritual vibrancy both corporately and personally, as well as exploring ways that would enable the organisation to maintain the focus on spiritual transformation in the lives of beneficiaries.
- To create the space to support spiritual growth and the living of values
- To explore the dynamics surrounding personal spirituality in the workplace understanding how this relates to our corporate vision and mission.
- To provide resources and tools that will encourage persons to deepen their spiritual growth
3. Increasing Biblical literacy
This involves setting priorities and finding practical ways to allow us to develop our ability to integrate biblical understanding into every aspect of our organisational life. Specific objectives would be:
- To identify ways of deepening our biblical literacy
- To explore ways of increasing our understanding of theological issues relevant to Tearfund
- To ensure there is a clear biblical understanding of the issues pertaining to the work
- To increase our explicit biblical reflection on current and emerging issues that the organisation faces.
- To explore ways which we can enable our practical decision making to be more informed by scripture, so that we apply biblical truth to work issues
- To encourage staff to passionately engage with scripture on issues relating to our work and ministry
- Discernment at the heart of decision making processes that are integrative of mind, emotion, heart and relationships
- What is the Holy Spirit doing and saying is the primary question
- We understand what the Holy Spirit is doing and saying through using our skills, professionalism, experience, relationships, emotions and hearts.
- Is this the kind or organization we want- a community more than a workplace
- How do we work out the professional/personal boundaries in this new paradigm
- Where are potential conflicts between being a missional organization and regulatory frameworks such as employment, equalities and charity governance
- Are we happy to spend time, money and reputation on these things